Unifiedroot is an independent, privately held technology company headquartered in The Netherlands. The company provides companies, organizations and institutions the ability to secure their own customized Top-Level Domains (TLDs) and Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) and connects these new domains to the World Wide Web.
Unifiedroot operates an independent infrastructure (root system ) to enable the creation and usage of Top-Level Domains (TLDs) and Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) registered on its system. This enables users to register and use new suffixes for Internet addresses, extending the range of domain naming options on the worldwide internet..
The company is owned by River Book Investment Company, based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The investors acquired the intellectual property and some company assets from the previous owner in 2005. This acquisition and subsequent investments have marked more than a new start.
Unifiedroot started working with Internet technology experts in 2005 to expand the Domain Name System (DNS) and enhance the web browsing experience. Unifiedroot invested five years in building a state-of-the-art root server platform, prepared for the imminent expansion of the Internet domain name addressing system.
The robust Unifiedroot root server platform is IPv6 and IDN ready and operates in parallel with the root server system administered by ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers).
Unifiedroot offers unique new possibilities, because its technology supports not just customized TLDs in traditional Latin script, both also custom IDNs using non-Latin script characters, i.e. domain names in Chinese, Cyrillic, Arabic, Hindi, etc.
Unifiedroot aspires to be instrumental in stimulating growth and advancement of the Internet, making the Internet a friendlier place to visit. We provide an environment where companies and organizations with innovative projects and ideas can leverage new TLDs or IDNs to add value to particular communities of interest, or to create new applications.
Unifiedroot adopts the following core principles to guide its policies and decision making:
- The company supports a private-sector, decentralized approach to domain name administration, allocation, and management.
- The company shall maintain a strict TLD and IDN naming policy in support of the stability and resilience of the Internet's DNS.
- Unifiedroot is an advocate of responsible behavior regarding the creation and use of TLDs and IDNs on its system, which is reflected in its Terms and Conditions.
- The company promotes the established principles of the Internet community:
- Stability of the Internet's Domain Name System (DNS)
- Competition in the market for domain names, including TLDs and IDNs
- Representation of the global Internet constituency
Unifiedroot supports and participates in the continuing discussion and resolution of Internet governance issues.