Extending the DNS
Unifiedroot supports the introduction of new Top-Level Domains (TLDs) and Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) on the Internet by operating a global root server platform. Our platform runs in parallel with the ICANN root server system. ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) is the organization responsible to coordinate the TLDs and IDNs we are currently most familiar with such as ".com" , ".net" , ".org" etc.
To assure the stability and resilience of the global Domain Name System, Unifiedroot does not allow the registration of new top-level domains that are identical or could cause a conflict with those being used by ICANN.
Best of both worlds
Unifiedroot has developed a new web browser, we call "Sundial". The Sundial browser allows Internet users, anywhere in the world, the unique ability to navigate domain name addresses with TLD extentions registered at Unifiedroot, and the traditional websites and domains we are familiar with from ICANN.
The Sundial browser is in fact an enhanced version of the Mozilla Firefox web browser. Sundial functions by matching domain names entered into its address bar to the database of an appropriate name server belonging to either Unifiedroot or ICANN.
Unique advantages can be realized by the fact that Unifiedroot owns and operates its own global root server platform:
- Unifiedroot is the only alternative root company to have such a global platform that is tried and tested and is available today for production usage by Internet Service Providers, businesses, institutions and organizations all around the world;
- Unifiedroot provides its TLD holders a solid technological infrastructure for the actual use of totally new domain names on the Internet;
- TLD holders have the possibility to create sub-domains and to sell SLDs within their name space;
- Unifiedroot has developed the technology to support IDNs;
- Unifiedroot is committed to continuously upgrading and enhancing its infrastructure.
TLDs that are registered at Unifiedroot point to the name servers that are specified to us by their owners. There are multiple solutions for a TLD owner in setting up and administering their TLD name space. Unifiedroot will be happy to work closely with your technical department to find the solution that is best for you.